Real.Life Check Up: Health
Yesterday I ran the Bolder Boulder, a 10K race, that winds through the streets of Boulder, Colorado, while bands play, belly-dancers perform, and neighbors cheer. It’s an absolute blast. And, even more important for an accomplishment-driven woman like me (I’m a Doer and a D on the DISC), it was one of my 2017 health goals.
Do you have health goals for this year? If so, have you written them down? And if you did that, do you remember where you put them?
It’s not enough to just think about your goals. Thinking engages the right hemisphere of your brain but writing engages the left hemisphere of your brain, the side that generates logic and planning.
If you want to turn your desires into reality, write down your goals. The tyranny of urgent requests from your children, your boss, and your bills will always seek to crowd out the important things in life. Don’t let them. Write your goals down.
Research show that mere act of writing down your goals increases the likelihood of achieving them by 35-70% (depending on which study you read). Those are big numbers. If you continue to review your goals each month and even each week AND rewrite them AND display them on your refrigerator, bathroom mirror or office wall, you will start to live according to your plans and not the plan of others.
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11
Take today’s Health Check Up Quiz. See how you score. Where you answer Yes, congratulate yourself for areas that you’ve already established good habits. Where you answer No, turn the statements in Health Goals for 2017.
- I wake energized, and rested, and on time.
- I have an my exercise routine in which I move for at least 30 minutes, 3x/week.
- I limit my alcohol consumption and don’t rely on it for stress or problem relief.
- I drink plenty of water each day.
- I am pleased with my food choices. They fuel me for the day.
- My immune system is strong. I don’t get sick more than 1-2x/year.
- I make adequate time for play and rest.
- I know what activities are fun and restful for me.
- I am within 10 pounds of my goal weight.
- I take good care of myself.
- I’m addressing all my health concerns with a medical professional.
If you answered Yes to all 11 questions, you are enjoying abundant physical health!
If you answered Yes to 7-10 questions, your life is full and whole but not all of your health potential has been realized.
If you answered Yes to 4-6 questions, you are surviving more than thriving with your health.
If you answered Yes to 0-3 questions, God has so much more health to offer you.
What health goals are you going to establish today?